11 replies to this topic

#1 nathaliece

nathaliece

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 11:23 PM

Hi all,

I am having part of my colon removed next week (I think they call it a colon resection) ... and I am nervous about my recovery being hampered by CML and my lower counts (my new normal as Trey says).  I am MMR and have been on Gleevec 400 mg since Thanksgiving 2010.  Has anyone else had a similar surgery since their diagnosis?

Thanks in advance for your support,

Nat

#2 pamsouth

pamsouth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:24 AM

Nath.  Sorry I don't have any advice.  But I was wondering what your doctor told you to expect.  I have been on Gleevec for 6 years and was thinking of having a select surgery, not mandatory.

PamSouth

PamSouth

#3 tiouki

tiouki

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 03:51 AM

Hello Nathalie,

I have not had any surgery of that type but my grandfather had (1/3 of his colon removed). He had a full recovery (he was 78 y-o at this time).

I think that you may want to talk to your onc about stopping gleevec for a few days at the date of the surgery if it is possible, that may help but you should ask your doctor.

I am with sprycel and for every surgery-like act (dentist etc...) they recommand to stop the drug because it can affect platelets.

Good luck!

Pierre

#4 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 10 January 2012 - 09:39 AM

You will heal just fine.  Most of the healing will depend on surrounding tissues, not so much the blood.  A very minor impact could be from less oxygen if RBC is low, but not significant. 

#5 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 10 January 2012 - 10:42 AM

Nat,

Best of luck, please keep us posted so we know how you are doing.

Pam

#6 CMLSurvivor

CMLSurvivor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:02 PM

I haven't had colon surgery, but I have had to have a full hysterectomy due to bleeding issues. The recovery time was a little longer by about a week then they said it would be, but other than that, everything was the same. They did have me take a week break from Gleevec because of nausia, they did not want me throwing up. You will be fine, just follow the doctors orders. Good luck!

#7 LynnieR

LynnieR

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 10:50 PM

I have had two surgeries since diagnosed with CML in 2009 both with no complications.  I am a registered nurse and have worked in hospitals since 1997, a concern with any surgery is post infection, I have asked my Doctors both times to order me a dose of IV antibiotic prior to the surgery and a round of PO (by mouth) antibiotics for home.  I am sure, with the type of surg ur having you will also have the same.  Good luck, I am sure u will do great.

#8 nathaliece

nathaliece

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 10:57 PM

Thanks, everyone.  I am just waiting for the surgeon and my oncologist to confer and agree how many doses of Gleevec I will have to skip.  Your comments have been helpful (as usual) and I am looking forward to putting this behind me.

Nat

#9 nathaliece

nathaliece

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 04:17 PM

Well, the surgery was much more complex tha expected.  I either ate/drank nothing or just ice chips and missed 9 days of Gleevec which exceeded ny oncologist's recommendation.  I am interested in hearing about other CML patients who missed more than a week of treatment.  I was dx in 11/10 and MMR at the time of surgery.

#10 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 26 January 2012 - 08:10 PM

It was early in treatment, but I had to stop taking my Sprycel for almost 3 weeks until my labs leveled out again.  It was well into the 12th day before my platelets started to rise, and other counts did not change much, only a point or two if memory serves.  One thing that seems to be important, if you are responding to the TKI's, whatever one you are on, a short break from the meds does not cause serious damage.  Of course there is always the need to add the disclaimer, no one should purposely miss dosage, but your situation is different.  When are your next labs, and have you spoken with your oncologist about your 9 day break?  It will be interesting to see what is said, and if your immediate response has changed.  I was a nervous wreck the entire 3 weeks without the Sprycel, didn't even enjoy the break from the side effects, I was too worried about the CML.  Best wishes on a speedy recovery, thanks for checking in! 

Pam

#11 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 26 January 2012 - 10:31 PM

Hi:  Glad your surgery is over, and sorry it turned out a little different than expected.  If you are MMR, then you should be fine.  Just relax and take time to heal.  Let us know how your doing when you feel up to it.  I missed your original post about having the surgery.  Did you say why they had to do this resection of the colon?

#12 Judy2

Judy2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 12:33 AM

Hi Pam M,

Just curious, do you know what your PCR was when you were off your meds?

Judy

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users