pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 09 January 2012 - 10:25 PM

Judy,

Yes, we did the ceiling ourselves.  My mother in law helped also, we tried to keep her off the ladders and only holding the insulation, but she was a great help, didn't have to keep getting up and down the ladder to guide it through the wires and lathe/plaster from the old ceiling. 

I guess a person doesn't get a call unless there is a problem.  I have been reading more about members and Sprycel side effects, Marnie, I am completely jealous!, but glad you are fairly side effect free ( won't touch the gas issue or I might be here for another hour just dwelling on potential situations ) dealing with CML is bad enough most times, side effects just plain suck.  Now speaking of side effects, I have several interesting things happening.  I have been back on the 140 mg for about 5 1/2 weeks now, I didn't get up to look at calendar, but when I jumped from 100 mg to 140 mg I had almost nothing, (after the initial beginning on 100 mg in October with the severe headaches, neuropathy, joint/bone aches, and tiredness).  Now I find myself reverting, I am having headaches, not as severe, but they are definitely Sprycel related, I am incredibly tired, my face has a nice start of dry red patches on my cheeks and between my eyes, and lo/behold my hair is honestly falling out by the handfulls.  I had noticed some shedding but in the past several days the sink is full, my pillow looks like my pups were sleeping on it (they are but wrong colors) and even my clothing around the neck area is loaded with hair.  Each one has the follicle attached, so I know it is coming from the root.  No one is yanking on it, so I have to put it down to Sprycel.  I do apologize to anyone/everyone I wrote to in the past, stating the hair loss is not that bad for me, I have several very thin spots and in another week or so strategic comb-overs will not hide the bald spots.  I go back and forth about the hair thing, in reality it is such a non important thing, but vanity, even at 49, seems to be present.  One thing I am holding on too, from my reading, hair begins to regrow in about three months, well I am well into the first month of Sprycel, so perhaps in a few more weeks I will begin to do a turn around and as the hair begins to grow again, it will not bother me so much.  I am not sure why the side effects would begin again now, one of the things many people including myself note is we do not know exactly what/how these drugs are affecting our bodies in other ways.  Can't say I am all that excited about the reoccurrence, but the alternative is several illness and demise, so I shut up and move along.  One item I have found quite interesting (remember psychology major here), although many have noted my 140 dose of Sprycel is very high, I worry about what would happen if I went back to the 100 mg, because in the beginning it did not work for me.  I would love to get to 50 mg or even 20 mg daily for maintenance med, but somehow because of my rocky start I am not sure that is in my future.  Time, that lovely, frustrating, annoying, scary word is what has to happen, if I reach milestones and have a positive response in time, perhaps it will be possible to lower the dosage and still destroy the CML cells, but right now, am nervous as hell because if I am lowered due to blood work or other reason, then the worry the CML will begin again to take over is front and center (yeah, like it isn't there now).  I am off to bed, not going to turn on the light, don't care how many hairs I lost during my three hour nap this afternoon, wouldn't matter if I did, they would still be there.

Judy, you said it best, stupid chromosomes!

#42 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 09 January 2012 - 10:31 PM

I forgot, believe it or not I am growing another horn, but this time I am paying attention.  It is a hair follicle, for some reason it just must become badly infected, perhaps some of my counts have a hand in this.  So far it is just the size of a pencil eraser, the last one was over half dollar and was noticeable even with my longer hair.  I am almost sure it begins as a blocked follicle or ingrown hair, but then grows to a mammoth cyst.  At least this time of year no one will mistake me as a button buck and I end up with a arrow or 30-0-6 shell whizzing by my head!  Wait.......it isn't archery season again in PA is it?......

#43 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 09 January 2012 - 10:33 PM

Hi Ted,

Yep 140 mg and it seems to be kicking my arse once again.  No reason, nothing has changed, but I sure don't have much energy these days!  I was so tired in the grocery store yesterday I swear I had difficulty finishing up and going through checkout.  Boy I get frustrated at this, not long ago I could run circles around everyone I was close to, even my husband and he is quite  bit younger than I am.   ggggggrrrrrrrr

#44 Judy2

Judy2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 10:38 PM

Thanks Marnie,

I'm so happy that you have had such a great response on Sprycel. I know it would be great to reach PCRU but many people on this board think that may not matter that much. I guess the tests are only so sensitive and even if we reach PCRU that doesn't mean all our leukemic cells are gone, there still may be some lurking. Also, from what I understand a person may be PCRU at one lab and perhaps not at another. Anyway, that is how I understand it.

My lowest PCR # was 41% on Gleevec,  of course I was only taking 200mg. I hope to see a dramatic drop also but at 50mg I'm thinking it may take a little longer. As long as I'm heading in the right direction I'll be patient.

I grew up in the Northeast, we don't grit our teeth here, we're not as tough as you midwest people. I think I'm going to have to toughen up.

Judy

#45 Pin

Pin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 07:15 AM

Hi Gerry, sorry I think I lost your message in there...

I am due for my next test in March, just past my six month one in December. I was at less than 1 log at 3 months, but over 2 log at my 6 month test - so hopefully I'm going to stay on track for the next one! :)

Diagnosed 9 June 2011, Glivec 400mg June 2011-July 2017, Tasigna 600mg July 2017-present (switched due to intolerable side effects, and desire for future cessation attempt).

Commenced monthly testing when MR4.0 lost during 2012.

2017: <0.01, <0.01, 0.005 (200mg Glivec, Adelaide) <0.01, 0.001 (new test sensitivity)

2016: <0.01, <0.01, PCRU, 0.002 (Adelaide)

2015: <0.01, <0.01, <0.01, 0.013

2014: PCRU, <0.01, <0.01, <0.01, <0.01

2013: 0.01, 0.014, 0.016, 0.026, 0.041, <0.01, <0.01 

2012: <0.01, <0.01, 0.013, 0.032, 0.021

2011: 38.00, 12.00, 0.14

#46 GerryL

GerryL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 06:53 PM

Hi Pin,

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you - hopefully the nerves aren't starting to kick in for you yet.

#47 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2012 - 12:25 AM

Geeze Marnie,

It seems like we have been on this site forever and you're STILL  47!!!!!

Hi Amy and and all of our other new members who have joined our site. I'm so sorry you have to join our club but I'm so glad you have found us. I have had cml for 4 and a half years. I was on G for 3 years and now I'm on Sprycel for over a year. I got off to a rocky start just like you are all going through right now. First the horrible panic at dx then having our bodies adjust to the side-effects of the drugs they give us, and our bodies do adjust it takes longer for some than others. I would say it took me 3 months for my body to really start adjusting to Gleevac but I got pneumonia 3 weeks after my dx so it took me a while to get my strength back. I had a lot of gi problems but I had them before cml. Let's just say i'm always full of s--t! Thank God for Immodium and prep h. and depends for traveling! If I knew then what I know now when my first onc told me just take a pill a day and you'll be fine I would look at him and say BITE ME! Cancer is probably the scariest word we will ever hear. Whether it is a loved one or a dear friend. Yes cml is cancer but it is controllable. So if we had to get it at least we'll be around to see our children grow up, and enjoy our grandchildren. And keep on tormenting assinine people who have no clue what we go through. I'm in a similar situation right now on vacation in Florida. More details later! I have been taking notes. Please excuse my foul mood but I sincerely welcome you all and no matter how you feel or how many questions you have you'll find out everything you know from all the wonderful people on this site. And they will even help me get even with my in-laws down here, I love them dearly but I have been so sick since I got here 3 weeks ago first the flu,then a nasty cold but I look healthy so they keep telling me I need to get out more and go to the beach and shopping, and I don't eat well enough. The rosy cheeks I have are because my temp went up to 100 yesterday! I fooled them I called my pcp back home and she called in an antibiotic hee hee.    lol Billie

#48 Marnie

Marnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 07:36 PM

Hey, Billie. . .I am STILL only 47!!  I have 3 1/2 weeks of it left!  Don't you go rushing me into 48!  That sounds too much like 50. 

Sorry to hear you've been sick.  That stinks.  Maybe you need to try some monkey butt powder.  I hear that it cures everything. 

Marnie

#49 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2012 - 10:16 PM

Hi Marnie,

Can I dilute the monkey butt powder in my wine?  I'm not even getting my daily quota of my favorite wine the liquor store on the island just sells these dinky little bottles of my wine there's barely 3 glasses full in each bottle and he only gets a couple bottles a week in. I have to get into Ft. Meyers so I can stock up. Even if I have to buy 24 little bottles.

Take Care Billie

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users