• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dee145

dee145

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 02:02 PM

I have been sick for a few days and couldn't get into my family dr till today. I  have a upper respiratory infection and sinus infection so was given a antibiotic.  Got it from my husband who was sick and won't go to the drs..his med is Nyquil...well, I can't take that.  I told him when he gets sick he has to wear a mask in the house and sleep in his truck and it's bitter cold here in PA.

The psychriatrist I went to wanted me on Celexa but my pharmacist said not to fill it till I saw my family dr....to many interactions.  My family dr said today no to Celexa but put me on a 5mg dose of lexapro for during the day.  My issue is when I got it filled it was $60 co-pay....anybody know if there is a plan that helps pay for this.  My luck this is the med I need and I can't afford another extra $60 month with my other meds and seeing onc. every month at $40 co-pay and family dr $20 co-pay till she see's how this med works then we are going to every 3 months.  Plus my Gleevec co-pay...the psychriatrist is out the door.  My family dr spent 1 hour and 20 mins. with me today....longer than the psych. did and talked more to me also.  i know there are people in worse shape than me but going from 2 incomes to 1 is very hard and our mortgage just went up cause of taxes.  Anybody on Lexapro on here...the hope is to taper off the xanax after awhile or cut back to 1 to help me sleep.

Thanks in advance.....Dee

#2 LivingWellWithCML

LivingWellWithCML

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 05 January 2012 - 08:12 PM

Isn't there a generic for lexapro with a lower co-pay? 

Dan - Atlanta, GA

CML CP Diagnosed March 2011

Gleevec 400mg

#3 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:23 PM

hi Dee,

I am sorry you are having such a hard time.  Before I get to different meds, I wanted to mention your statement about xanax and helping you sleep.  I was wondering if a doctor gave it to you for this reason?  Xanax does help a person calm down, and does sometimes make sleep available, but it is also very addictive and if taken often (like for sleeping med) I worry about your resistance kicking in for the drug.  I think we talked about Xanax before, I apologize am answering quickly without research, I already took my Ambien, and sleep comes fairly quickly.  Getting to the Lexapro, is there a chance you could take Effexor, most times people only need a small dose of this med for depression, and my co-pay used to be $20 a month.  There are some free counseling centers, along with possible care you might be able to find through your regular doctor.  I am not sure about your area (mine has none) but even a group session for people with cancers might help you at least vent and get things out instead of having to hold them in.  One more note before I zone out, please don't ever sell yourself short, yes there are people dealing with other serious issues, but yours are just as important and serious as the next persons. Raises in co-pays, additional co-pays, doctor visits, and raises in mortgage payments would be stressful enough, you add in the CML and it is a wonder we all are not on the far side of sane.  Please take care and keep us posted, we all have our demons, and they are mean nasty buggers.

Keep in touch

Pam

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users