6 replies to this topic

#1 Tedsey

Tedsey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 03:23 PM

As many of you know, my PLT have been averaging between the 20s and 30s (for almost 2 years now).  In most cases, this is a sign for alarm.  But, I have been showing no signs of bleeding that anyone can tell.  My cuts even clot and heal pretty quickly and I don't bruise more than ever I did.  I can only assume that the little bunch of PLT I have are "super platelets".  But I need more info.

Two days ago, we had a very strong windstorm come up suddenly.  I had one leg in the car and was buckling my son into his car seat.  The wind slammed the door onto my leg that was outside.  We have a large sedan with heavy doors.  Of course, I shouted out in surprise and pain (which threw my son into a screaming fit).  There is just a bitty mark on my lower leg (in front under the knee), and maybe the slightest bruise--it is hard to tell.  It hurts a lot to touch, but there is no real bump.  I am so surprised it hasn't bruised because I was hit so hard.  I was just wondering if there could be something going on inside that I cannot see and if I must run to a Dr (because of my PLT situation).  I can walk fine and it doesn't hurt when I walk (just when I touch it).  If I didn't have CML, I would come to believe that I lucked out with a very minor injury.  Just wondering if I should get it looked at.

Teds

#2 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 17 December 2011 - 05:33 PM

It appears that your platelets cannot be fooled into urgent action by something that does not break the skin.  Most platelets would have run to the spot and clotted in a big mess, only to find out they had expended themselves to no useful purpose.  Those are some darn smart platelets you have.  Actually, it is the spleen that is the smart one -- it says "I'm not going to fork over my precious group of platelets for that!"  Nice.

Injury sites also normally have swelling from "inflammation", which is the body sending granulocytes and fluids to the injury site.  Sometimes it is helpful, and sometimes not so.  If the skin is broken, you want granulocytes to move in and clean up the invaders that get in.  If not broken, the swelling is inconvenient and adds to the pain.  Again, smart of your granulocytes to know the difference.

I think what we have here is that you are evolving to a higher level.  You have stepped up into a class of super-heroes incapable of feeling pain or being harmed.  You are "Super-Tedsey".  We lesser beings salute you!!!!

#3 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 17 December 2011 - 08:41 PM

My platelets are at 128,000 and I am not bruising much either.  We are moving furniture so I thought I would be covered with bruises like I suffered a beating.  Instead I have a few smal bruises, but nothing like a while back when my platelets were higher.  Either I share that super human capability Trey spoke of or my platelets are just lazy and do not believe it is worth the effort to run to a spot I have just dropped a drawer full of clothes on. 

#4 Sneezy12

Sneezy12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 17 December 2011 - 10:01 PM

Very often, the lining over the bone, the Periosteum becomes inflamed from even a slight injury, and can be very painful, even lasting for several weeks. It is not usually serious but if it persists, see your M.D. Also, slight bleeding can occur beneath it causing the same symptoms. Frank

#5 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2011 - 08:09 PM

Dear Tedsey,

I had a wierd encounter a couple of months ago. I was making mashed potatoes and when I went to drain them in the collander I spilled the boiling water all over my hand. I thought oboy this is really going to hurt. I ran cold water over it right away for a few seconds It didn't hurt at all. I figured I was in shock or maybe dead.

It never even got sore just a little pink. I even wondered if my brain fog kicked in and I forgot to boil the potatoes first.  But they were cooked and I was fine so we sat down to supper and I started thinking somethings wrong maybe I should call the er and tell them I poured a pan of boiling water on my hand and it didn't hurt.

But I figured they would just laugh at me and ask why I poured boiling water on my hand and I would say something smart like I was bored!  Damn cml sure does mess with our minds.    lol Billie

#6 PhilB

PhilB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 06:02 AM

I like the idea of 'Intelligent Spleen'.  Is there a Tee shirt we can get?

#7 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 19 December 2011 - 06:28 AM

Billie, I am darn glad you didn't get burnt, but even when talking about a serious situation, you ended up making me laugh with your vivid narration of the event!  I hope you are half way (or more) to Sanibel and life is looking warmer, greener, and healthy!

Let us know when you get there and are basking in the warm Florida sun so we all can be horribly jealous!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users