Photo

What can I do with Gleevec medication if I no longer need it?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Vilarinho

Vilarinho

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 05:52 AM

Gleevec may no longer be working for me and it's possible that I will have to switch to one of the other drugs on the market.  Because of moving to another country Gleevec was purchased for me to cover any lapse I might encounter with receiving the drug.  Is it possible to donate this medication?  I'll know in a few weeks whether I will remain on Gleevec, if I don't I want it to go to someone who needs it.

#2 random

random

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 03:24 PM

Return it to your doc. Another patient may need it.

#3 CDW

CDW

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 08:23 PM

As an alternative to simply giving it to your doc, you could try contacting the National CML Society (USA) - I'm assuming you're in USA? They are inundated with requests from people who cannot afford their medication.

Here's the link:

http://www.nationalc....org/contact-us

I'm sure they'd be real happy to hear from you and would ensure the meds get distributed to someone in genuine need.

Good luck on the new meds

Chris

#4 Vilarinho

Vilarinho

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 04:37 AM

Thanks CDW for the information.  Obviously my first thought was to give it to my Oncologist but this isn't something that he can handle.  I'm not living in the US at this time but would be happy to send these meds to the organization you mentioned.  When I was first diagnosed the oncologist in the US gave me a months supply of Gleevec that another of his patients couldn't tolerate.  What a blessing that was, my insurance at the time wouldn't cover the medicine without tons of paperwork and it got me started without delay.  I'm hoping this unused Gleevec will help someone else like it helped me.  Thank you again for taking the time to communicate.   Jennifer

#5 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2011 - 03:13 PM

Dear Jennifer,

Let me know how you make out  I have the same problem here in the states. Sincerely Billie

#6 Vilarinho

Vilarinho

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 04:20 PM

Thank you Billie for your comment.  I'll know in a few weeks or less whether I shall continue with Gleevec or not.  I would really like to stay on it but if the increase doesn't do the job I don't know what drug, if any, I shall be given.  It would be good to know that the extra I have will help someone who needs the financial burden lifted a bit.  If you have any more information I would appreciate hearing it.  Jennifer

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users