Photo

Question re: magnesium--should I ask my onc? and best supplement?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Taylor

Taylor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 12:13 PM

Hi all,

Friday morning I'm going to my onc for a routine follow-up--it will almost be one year since dx (actual dx was Jan 31st).

In the past I have gone in just to make sure things are on course, and I never really worried about side effects because I was too concerned about other things.  But now that I am PCRU, I think I'm going to take some time to ask him a few questions.

One thing I'm thinking about is my magnesium levels.  I have some cramps but I also have this irritability or tenseness in my body that I deal with, which comes at unexpected times without triggers.  I had a major anxiety problem beginning in March (first panic attack) that started slow but increased during the summer and hit its peak when I had a big panic attack at work and had to leave.  Anyway, I took Ativan sparingly beginning in March (I took my last one in mid-September, only took about 10 pills total since I got them) and got everything under control with counseling.  There's a lot less on my plate but every so often I have mild feelings of anxiousness or really irritability, like my body is tense and irritated and not my mind.  Considering this never happened before the TKIs, I wondered if some of the lingering effects could be related to magnesium levels--I have read numerous places saying that low magnesium could cause this.  Should I ask my onc if he will do a special test to check these levels (I always get CBC and chem 14 when I go see him, but I think I need something else for magnesium).

In any case I should probably take a supplement because I know I don't get enough in my diet.  Does anyone have a good recommendation?  I was using a calcium/magnesium supplement, but it always made me feel weird and to get the full dose I was supposed to take 3 huge pills twice daily; seemed a bit of a rip-off.

Thanks all.

#2 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 12 December 2011 - 03:20 PM

TKI drugs can upset mineral utilization in the body.  That is true of potassium, magnesium, calcium.  The things you describe could more often be related to potassium deficiency than magnesium deficiency.  The blood tests for these minerals may not tell the whole story since only 1% of these minerals are found in the blood, and the remaining 99% is not detected by blood testing.  But that does not mean the testing is useless, just imprecise.

http://www.livestron...ium-deficiency/

http://ods.od.nih.go...heets/magnesium

http://www.livestron...ium-deficiency/

#3 Taylor

Taylor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 03:41 PM

Interesting, thanks Trey!  I will probably just try to supplement both in that case.

#4 pamsouth

pamsouth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 06:32 PM

It was actually my Chiropractor's doctor's who recently ordered labs for Cal, Vit D, & magnesium, forget what else.

I was low in Vit D  and  borderline Magnesium. Magnesuium was 1.5 and it should be between 1.4 to 2.7.

I have heard that sometimes the medicine you take may give false readings.  Just the same I am taking Cal, Vit D, Magnesium and CranBarrier supplements for the kidneys.

PamSouth

#5 GerryL

GerryL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 02:04 AM

Hi Taylor,

I take a Calcium, Magnesium & Vitamin D also found a Celery Seed Supplement helps with the cramps. The other thing I found is make sure you keep your fluids up. I still occassionally get a cramp in my calf muscle (about once every 3 or 4 months) but have now been able to link it to when I take a fluid tablet and haven't kept up my water intake with it.

#6 Rissa

Rissa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 16 December 2011 - 03:16 PM

I take "Slo Mag" magnesium supplement.  I started taking it long before I was diagnosed with CML for my eye tick.  Whenever I stop taking it, the spasms come back.  My hematologist also recommended it.  I'm also taking iron and B12 to try to boost my red blood cells.  Talk with your doctor about it.  You may be getting enough magnesium, but not getting enough of something else.

#7 Rissa

Rissa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 24 January 2012 - 04:47 PM

Magnesium isn't helping my eye tic anymore.  It's very annoying.  It feels like the entire area around both of my eyes is twitching.  This has been going on for the last 2 months.  When I see my hematologist next week, I'll ask him about it. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users