Photo

Taking A Poll - Who Has An Autoimmune Disease in Addition to CML?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Judy2

Judy2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 01:28 PM

I was reading the discussion "Cold Hands and Feet" and it got me thinking, which isn't always a good thing. Is there a link between CML and autoimmune diseases? I decided to take a poll and see how many people have one or more autoimmune diseases in addition to their CML. Maybe this will tell us something about CML or if we might,perhaps, get autoimmune diseases in the future- or maybe it means nothing. Anyway, I have Wegeners, idiopathic urticaria and angioedema. Anyone else have autoimmune diseases?

Judy

#2 jrsboo

jrsboo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 05:05 PM

I was diagnosed with idiopathic vasculitis, an autoimmune disease, about 14 years ago.  I turned purple as my veins started leaking, and was pretty darn ill, spent a couple of days passed out in my apartment until someone came looking for me....they have no idea why it happened.  I had one more smaller bout (I started carrying prednisone by then and just started taking them the instant I felt it coming back).  And since then have been "fine".  The bouts were preceded  by a really odd headache, very distinctive.

And after turning 30 (many moons ago) I started just plain getting sicker than anyone else I knew.  I kept asking my then PCP about it, that whenever someone else would just get a cold, I would get so sick I would have to go to bed for two weeks.  That PCP, was NOT a good dr., so I don't trust that her answer that I was just sensitive was a good answer.  In fact, it was her crappy treatment of me that led me to get a new PCP, who ordered the bloodwork..............and well, you know the rest................"I have WHAT?"

#3 pamsouth

pamsouth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 05:40 PM

Me PamSouth.  I just posted on the other POST, chilled fingers since 1992, but I am not at all sure that this is Raynauld which is caused from no blood flow, I think my is caused from the blood chilling like Jello and has to be thawed slowly. I have had that problem since the early 1990's.  DX with CML in 2005 but am quite sue CML working on me for many years prior to DX.

PamSouth

#4 Taylor

Taylor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 06:02 PM

Well, I have psoriasis on some spots on my scalp.  I have had it for years actually, at least since 2004.  I used to have it on the skin kind of at the corner of my eyes, but that has gone away since I started sleeping more and stopped picking at it.

It's not anything serious, but still autoimmune.  They actually sometimes use hydrea to treat psoriasis and I had a small reduction when I was on it before Tasigna.

#5 pamsouth

pamsouth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 06:57 PM

Taylor got this off the web; 

http://www.enbrel.co...&subchannel=ahb

About Moderate to Severe Plaque Psoriasis

Plaque psoriasis is a lifelong disease of the immune system that causes red, scaly patches to appear on the skin. There are five types of psoriasis: plaque, guttate, inverse, pustular and erythrodermic. Plaque psoriasis is the most common form of psoriasis. Approximately 1.5 million Americans suffer from moderate to severe plaque psoriasis.

Plaque psoriasis is a disease of the immune system

While plaque psoriasis may look like just a skin condition, it is in fact a disease of the immune system. The immune system protects the body from infections and diseases. In patients with plaque psoriasis, certain immune cells are activated and produce too much of a protein called tumor necrosis factor(TNF). This protein can cause skin cells to grow too quickly. The skin cells build up and form raised, red patches often with a silvery scale, known as plaques. These plaques may itch, be painful, and can bleed. Knowing how plaque psoriasis develops—from inside the body—can help you understand how some treatments, like ENBREL, can help. Get a closer look at how ENBREL works.

What does a plaque look like?

Plaques are raised, red patches often with a silvery scale.

This is an example of what plaques look like. Plaques are raised, red patches, often with a silvery scale.

Example of one skin area.

Symptoms of plaque psoriasis

Plaque psoriasis causes raised red patches with a silvery scale to appear on the skin. They can appear anywhere on the body, but are most commonly found on the elbows, knees, scalp, and lower back. People with plaque psoriasis may notice that there are times when their skin worsens, then gets better. Factors that cause these "flare-ups" can include:

• emotional stress
  • injury to the skin
  • some types of infections
  • reactions to certain drugs

How plaque psoriasis can be treated

There is no cure for plaque psoriasis, but there are a variety of treatments that can help clear the skin. Some therapies work on the surface of the skin. Biologics work inside your body to treat psoriasis at the source. ENBREL is a prescription medicine that is self-injected. ENBREL, a biologic, blocks the activity of excess TNF that is associated with plaque psoriasis. This helps slow the growth of skin cells before they cause plaques to appear on the skin. Learn more about results with ENBREL. Because ENBREL works on your immune system, it can lower your ability to fight infections and may raise other safety concerns. If you have any sign of an infection including a fever, cough, flu-like symptoms, or have any open sores on your body, call your doctor. Please see Full Prescribing Information,Important Safety Information, and Medication Guide for complete details about ENBREL.

PamSouth

#6 ritan/

ritan/

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 08:53 PM

raynaud's here! i've had it since i was 19. no other significant illness really (strep twice i think).

#7 pamsouth

pamsouth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 11:16 PM

Regarding this whole autoimmune disease thing.  Was thinking of something that has been kicked around for decades. 

These baby immunization.  Some country wait until there babies are one or two year old.

The first doctor after I had been DX CML and one other doctor sometimes later asked me if I had a live virus vaccine? Also when I asked the first cancer doctor where does CML come from her answer was "a virus" then she thought about it and said NO  on second thought we don't know.

Well of course there was the live vaccines as a child.  Then in 2003 my husband and I went with a medical missionary trip and we took some live vaccines with us in a small Styrofoam Container on ice.  But I am sure I had CML long before that even though I wasn't DX until 2005.  My 2002 CBC would certainly be an indication that it was going on back them and MDAnderson said it takes a long time before a shows up in the blood, remember it is chronic, slow.

Just a thought....  Could these childhood or other live vaccines compromise our immune system / predisposition with certain outside factors, for these cancers or other diseases.

Just a thought to ponder on?  PamSouth

PamSouth

#8 Sneezy12

Sneezy12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 12 December 2011 - 04:42 AM

There is no evidence of this. Frank

#9 pamsouth

pamsouth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:02 AM

Sneezy12.

I am not sure what you are referring too.  I think maybe where I posted about the immunization shots, or other immune disease be related to CML.

I am not sure whether or not there is evidence. 

I knew a lady a few years ago who worked in the Loan Dept, where we bank, she had a son, who maybe was in his late teens, with autism.  I don't know all the details but she said she received a sum of money from the government when he was diagnosed.  According to her, the government has a fund set aside for these autistic children., because they know a certain number will be effected by immunization shots with autism.  These live virus effect the immune system of our children/babies/anyone. 

Really when I think about it, it certainly makes sense. 

I asked my daughter about it one time, as she is a nurse and her husband a doctor, she now has 3 children, age 22, 18, 14.  She said the shots would be better then the alternative of the diseases. 

I received a call from my sister today, still in the hospital.  She will be 64 in a couple of years.  she was diagnosed with lung cancer, Mesothelioma, Lung Cancer.  It has to do with being around Asbestos,  It takes years to show up. 

http://www.mesotheli...sothelioma.html

I know this cancer has nothing to do with our subject except it takes years to show up, from what we were exposed to many, many years ago!

Just saying we are exposed to a lot of stuff (our immune systems have to deal with and can become damage) from the time we are born, that may not show up for many year, or may weaken are immune system.

The above are my thoughts only, no documentation.  Just something to think about.  Our environment!!!

Pam

PamSouth

#10 Judy2

Judy2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 09:54 PM

Hi Pamsouth. This is very interesting and a lot to think about, too much for my tired brain tonight. Since no one knows how we got CML then it stands to reason they don't know how we didn't get it. Of course there are some things that can be ruled out but too much is unknown.

Judy

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users