#1 Lori's okay

Lori's okay

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationWashington DC area

Posted 09 December 2011 - 10:36 PM

Hello all,

I'm Lori, diagnosed with CML October 4. I've appreciated all this info on the forum, especially Trey's knowledge and willingness to share!

It's not the group I'd have chosen to join, but here I am and glad to have folks to turn to!

A little about me:  I'm in mid 50's, live in Northern Virginia/ DC area.  So far my highest WBC was about 18,000.....hoping that may make some things go a little easier? 

Due to several delays (and that I seem to be very early in this) I just started Tasigna this week.  I'm actually only 3 days on this and now have the face sunburn so many describe.  My question is:  Is this early to get that?  Do those of you who have that remember it starting in the first week? 

Thanks to all of you for sharing your journey here!

Lori

DX 09-2011 PCR 8.08 not IS WBC 17 , Began Tasigna 600mg  

in 2012 Tasigna 450mg/day ,in 2013-2017 Tasigna 300mg/day

DATE/PCR

09-11/ 8.08 not IS

03-12/ 0.054 not IS

06-12/ 0.035 not IS

09-12/ PCRU, 01-13/ PCRU

4-13/ 0.042 IS

7-13/ 0.014 IS

11-13/ PCRU, 04-14/ PCRU

8-14/ 0.006 IS

PCRU: 12-14/ 05-15/ 10-15/ 02-16/ 

09-16/ 02-17/ 09-17/ 

10-17 tapered off 

11-3-17 Stopped Tasigna

1-15-18 still PCRU

#2 janne

janne

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 12:26 AM

Lori,

I definitely had it the first week. I was surprised because I had switched from Gleevec after two years and never had any skin reactions with Gleevec. My wbc's were also 18,000 when I was diagnosed. Welcome to this forum and feel free to share or ask questions. Great information here.  Janne

Dx'd: 8/2008. Started Gleevec 400 mg 11/08. 

Drug break 2011.

Started Tasigna 4/11 450 mg.

Reduction to 300 mg Tasigna 1/2012.

PCRU 9/2012.

12/2012 Detectable.

PCRU 4/2013 through 3/2015. (Reduced to 150 mg 7/2014)

12/2015  ? slightly detectable at probably less than 0.01% per Mayo Clinic.

4/2016 PCRU. Still at 150 mg Tasigna.

CESSATION: stopped treatment 7/20/2017. 

9/6/2017:  barely detectable at 0.01%. 

12/11/2017: PCR at 0.09% (did not do the monthly PCR testing.) 

12/18/2017: Inevitable call from Onc. Started back on Tasigna at 150 mg. (Considering Sprycel low dose.) 

#3 Lori's okay

Lori's okay

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 09:51 AM

Thanks, Jane!

It really helps to hear that. 

This is pretty scary!  Did the rash stay about the same, I keep wondering if it will intensify, it's pretty throbby right now but would be manageable. 

Lori

DATE/PCR

09-11/ 8.08 not IS

03-12/ 0.054 not IS

06-12/ 0.035 not IS

09-12/ PCRU, 01-13/ PCRU

4-13/ 0.042 IS

7-13/ 0.014 IS

11-13/ PCRU, 04-14/ PCRU

8-14/ 0.006 IS

09-16/ 02-17/ 09-17/ 

10-17 tapered off 

11-3-17 Stopped Tasigna

1-15-18 still PCRU

#4 Judy2

Judy2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 12:37 PM

Hi Lori,

As everyone says, welcome to the club nobody wants to join. This is a great place for info. and support and a great place to vent when you're feeling overwhelmed. I was dx in May and started on Gleevec but because my response to Gleevec was less than optimal I switched to Tasigna 600mg about one month ago. After 3 days I got a rash on my face, which later spread to my arms. My chin and the area between my eyebrows were swollen and my skin was so sensitive that putting on moisturizer actually made my rash worse. My onc. told me to stop Tasigna for one week and then restart it at 150mg per day. Because I have a very sensitive skin (idiopathic urticaria and angioedema) I decided to switch to Sprycel, which I'm now waiting to get from Bristol-Myers. If Sprycel doesn't work for me or the side effects are worse I may have to try Tasigna again. If your rash gets worse you may want to talk to your onc. about lowering the dosage and slowly increasing it so your body has a chance to adjust to the medicine. Good luck, I know how stressful this can be.

Judy

#5 pamsouth

pamsouth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 03:35 PM

@ JANNA, 

I was curious why you had switched to Tasigna, and how long you have been on it, and how are you doing, especially in comparison to Gleevec?

I have been on Gleevec since 2005 and am doing very well.  My old ONC keeps saying there are better TKI drugs.  But I keep thinking if it anin't broken why fix it ?  Plus I don't want to be experiencing new side effects especially during the Christmas season. 

Now if I really felt there was a good reason, after getting a 2nd opinion, with good reason to really truly make the switch, I would.

However i have been trying to get the latest update on Tasigna vs Sprycel.  I understand that certain drugs work better for certain mutations.  I have also been looking at the reports on the different kinds of CML mutations.

Regarding the side effects I am hearing (from the discussion boards, it seems to me, that people are tolerating the Sprycel side effects better then Tasigna.  Of  the only feedback I get is from this board and www.newcmldrug.com and what ever other newsfeeds I come across.  Can't seem to keep up with all the info.  

Anyhow I am keeping note on you guys out there starting on these other TKI drugs.

After about a year of diagnoses I really got tired of thinking about cancer and went on with my life, but since my onc as been bugging me for the last year about changing, it has forced me to go back to go back to the drawing board to bring my knowledge up to speed.

It has been encouraging in more then 1 way hearing from all you, so please keep posting!!

Pam

PamSouth

#6 Judy2

Judy2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 03:43 PM

Hi Pamsouth,

First, wanted to let you know your private mailbox is full. Also, why does your onc. want you to switch medicines if Gleevec is working well for you and you can tolerate the side effects? I'm not sure I understand.

Judy

#7 pamsouth

pamsouth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 04:43 PM

Judy2,

Don't understand why you are getting my private mail box full.  I have logged in.  Click on my photo in upper right conner.  Click on private message tab.  The only message I have is the one from you, back some time ago in November.  There also is a Private message RSS feed on the left that I click on, "no activity".  Hum Got me puzzle as to why your are getting a message my mail box is full.

I don't understand the oncologist either that is why I am changing, to Indiana University Simon Cancer Center, where they specialize in leukemia and have a group of doctors, that I refer to as the "Think Tank".  I even called LLS to make sure I understood how to read the PCR and what did they think of my PCR lab results.  This last year there was a significate increase on my PCR from negative up to 23 % b3a2 and 23% b2a2, or something like that.  They were identical numbers as was the one 3 months prior to that, so thought that was odd.  I also mentioned to LLS that I had called the lab and they had switched over to the IS scale.  Plus I had another PCR 1 week later, that PCR went 1 mutation from 23 % down to negative and the other mutation or fusion one from 23 % down to 12 % which be almost impossible.  Another words it went down from 47 % positive and 1 week later down to only 12 % postive.  But for about 5 years my PCR were negative until the labs went to the IS scale. So LLS and the doctor I went to for my 2nd opinion thought the labs at most were very questionable.

Also I have gotten emails that Novartis was going to discontinue their co-pays Dec 2010 but extended them to Dec 2011.  Novartis will only give co-pays to patients on Tasingna.  Also I had read an article, somewhere, couldn't quote where, as i have been reading so many new articles, but that there was a big push on ONC to push the newer patent drugs as the patent on Gleevec would be running out and the Federal goverment and other resources were down on giving money to research.  Plus I think perhaps CML being a rarer disease probably has less research funding. 

My doctor keeps on saying now there is a lot of room for error on these PCR labs, but Tasigna is a much better drug.  My understanding is you would really have to study which mutation you have as to which drug you should be taking, taking into effect the drugs that you can tolerate with the less toxicity.

So my guess would be she either gets some kind of kick back or a feather in her cap.  I think she probably does not specialize in CML but perhaps more in breast cancer.  I have never asked her how many CML or leukemia patients she has, so I really can't answer that question.  Just I feeling I get when you ask a question from the doctor or her nurse.  The nurse get confused when take my blood drawls and the name of the labs and she has been there probably for 15 years plus.  You have to wait about 1 1/2 hours in the onc office to see her, so she is a popular doctor in this location and many would refer to her as the best.  However I dod not know how many patients she has with CML.

Also the doctor at IU Cancer Center said he does not strickly go by the set of world guidlines, so perhaps she is going by the guidlines and thinks the newer drugs are better and I have been on gleevec 6 years.  Perhaps she would just like to try a new drug experiment of her own.  I really don't know.  But this I do know I have no intention of changing drugs based on PCR reports that have much room for error.  And that would be a direct quote from the doctor who wants me to change.  ONC quote "much room for error on these PCR"  Plus my fish and PCR ARE GOOD.  Then she will say I guarantee your fish and CBC will go up, but then she has been saying that for a year, I think she forgets, as she has got so many patients.   I think that is just a scare tactic to get me to change as to why?  Your guess is as good as mine??

I have little side effects after 6 years on gleevec.  Some of the side effect may just be from old age who knows.

I do not care to go through all the trouble of changing. 

I perhaps thinking of having surgery for other reasons in the next coming months, nothing to do with CML or Gleevec.  So I don't need to be changing drugs at this time anyhow. 

It just stresses me to have to review what I went thru the first year on Gleevec, now I settled in.  There is no guarantee on these other drugs they would be any better for me. eside there is more data on Gleevec, then a newer drug.  Newer drugs and trial make me feel like a guinea pig.  Unless of course someone needs to do the trial that nothing is working and they can't get the resources for the medicine they need.

That is all I know!

PamSouth

#8 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Iowa

Posted 10 December 2011 - 05:12 PM

Pam,

Check your sent mailbox, that also counts against you for our 5 (?) allowable messages. That could be why your mssage box is showing as full.

Pat

Pat

"You can't change the direction of the wind but you can adjust your sails."

DX 12/08; Gleevec 400mg; liver toxicity; Sprycel 100mg.; CCyR 4/10; MMR 8/10; Pleural Effusion 2/12; Sprycel 50mg. Maintaining MMR; 2/15 PCRU; 8/16 drifting in and out of undetected like a wave meeting the shore. Retired 12/23/2016! 18 months of PCRU, most recent at Mayo on 7/25/17 was negative at their new sensitivity reporting of 0.003.<p>

#9 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 10 December 2011 - 06:04 PM

Hi Pam:  Your Oncologist is not making any sense at all.  I have been on Gleevec since Oct of 2000, and its doing its job.  When the day comes that it does not do what it should then I would be forced to switch.  You do not know what another drug could do to you.  I know people who have gone off the Gleevec, and did horrible with other TKI's. I definitely would switch to another Oncologist.  Is this guy getting some kind of kick back for pushing the other drugs?

I was getting help with my co-pay on the Gleevec, and I just got the notice about no more help on Gleevec starting Jan 1,2012.  If you can get another order in before the time runs out, it will help anybody who got the same notice.

Not to go into all my financial issues, but between my husband and myself we are going broke trying to pay for our medical care and scripts along with our Mortgage etc.  I am going to contact Novartis, and give it a shot to see what they say.  I was in the clnical trial for the Gleevec, and they told me then that if I ever had any financial problems that I could not afford the Gleevec that it would be supplied to me for participating in the trial.  I have to see how true that is.

Susan

#10 spnnrmn

spnnrmn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 07:07 PM

hi Lori,

If you are in the N. Virginia/DC area you might want to look into the Cancer support center that Nova Hospital has near Rt 50 and the beltway.  They are there for all kinds of cancer, but there is a specific group for Leukemia.  The group usually meets on the second Thursday of the month from 7-8:30pm, but this month it will be meeting this Thursday (12/15).  The website is:  http://www.lifewithcancer.org/ and you might go look at the various classes, groups and information that they have. 

Philip

#11 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 10 December 2011 - 07:34 PM

Hi Lori:  Welcome to our little club, and  I hope you get to know all of us.  You will get a lot of support from everybody, and it makes you feel good to talk to people who know what your going through.  I am not on Tasigna, therefore, I cannot comment on your side effects.  I have been on Gleevec since Oct. of 2000, but we all go through side effects of some sort.  Just share whatever you feel at anytime.  Somebody is always ready to listen and help you.

Susan

#12 Lori's okay

Lori's okay

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 08:47 PM

Phillip,

Thanks a ton for the heads up on the meeting.  I had heard of Life with Cancer but not looked into it much yet. 

I'll try to make it to the meeting!

Lori

DATE/PCR

09-11/ 8.08 not IS

03-12/ 0.054 not IS

06-12/ 0.035 not IS

09-12/ PCRU, 01-13/ PCRU

4-13/ 0.042 IS

7-13/ 0.014 IS

11-13/ PCRU, 04-14/ PCRU

8-14/ 0.006 IS

09-16/ 02-17/ 09-17/ 

10-17 tapered off 

11-3-17 Stopped Tasigna

1-15-18 still PCRU

#13 Lori's okay

Lori's okay

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 08:48 PM

Susan, Thanks for the welcome!  It's always good to hear of folks who've made it a long time in this!

Lori

DATE/PCR

09-11/ 8.08 not IS

03-12/ 0.054 not IS

06-12/ 0.035 not IS

09-12/ PCRU, 01-13/ PCRU

4-13/ 0.042 IS

7-13/ 0.014 IS

11-13/ PCRU, 04-14/ PCRU

8-14/ 0.006 IS

09-16/ 02-17/ 09-17/ 

10-17 tapered off 

11-3-17 Stopped Tasigna

1-15-18 still PCRU

#14 pamsouth

pamsouth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 09:25 PM

Sunsa61, 

I appreciate & value your comments very much!!!  It is good to know of someone that has been on Gleevec longer then me (especially during the trials) and doing well!! 

Yes I have read some post of people who went off of Gleevec on to Tasingna/Sprycel and it was not a pretty outcome, then had to go back on Gleevec with new issues. 

I think If I were going to switch i would rather go on Sprycel made by Bristol Myers.  My family has history of heart problems and Tasigna has heart issues.  Not only my old onc pushing the newer drugs and finding reasons to take people off of Gleevec, but been reading post that many of the leading research hospital doctors are doing the same things and telling patients, no longer using Gleevec, just read a post today about that.  That is where they get their money from these expensive drugs, no CURE!!  How long has the world waited for the PROMISED CURE for those with HIV and other diseases.  I think Novartis sucks taking people off their co-pays, which will probably force patients onto the newer patent Tagsigna.  I am still waiting along with many others to hear about when the promised CURE is coming. With all these billions of dollars of research money I sometimes I wonder if all the money really goes into research or the CEO and the Feds.  Our country pays more for these drugs then any other country.  I recently called Medco to ask about the cost of Tasigna which is considerable more then Gleevec and she said what do you care you have insurance.  I said we all pay one way or another, as our health care including Medicare is out of control, especially for those of us who are retired or have catastrophic illness.  Our cobra and out of pocket went up considerable for  this year, because of the world economy and cost of health care and these drugs.  We received a statement from our insurance trust, the present is bleak and the future shaky dependent upon the world economy, sort of like the domino effect. Funny my old Oncologist said if you lose your insurance I will see you get the drug Tasigna. She does not have a crystal ball, she does not know what the economy or future holds, nobody knows, except God.  That is ridiculous that I would change drugs dependent upon her to get them.  I have no desire to go into uncharted territory for me unless absolutely necessary, I guess the drug company has there way of convincing one if necessary.  Gleevec will become a generic 2015 a few years away, but much sooner then the other drugs.

Yes I got the notice from Novartis too, no longer helping with co-pays.  So far I am lucky that this year my insurance is paying all put $20.00 for each 30 day shipment.  I used to pay $50.00 for a 90 day shipment but my insurance won't do 90 day shipment anymore. So far I am SO........ VERY VERY THANKFUL I do not have to bet the doctor or drug companies for the Gleeve !!  Early this year I had called the UAW TRUST who actually holds the insurance trust money and has our contract with Blue Cross of UAW Retiree and they said if something happened to me they didn't want stuck with paying for a 90 day supply, therefore I could only get a 30 day supply plus ever december my doctor has to call them to tell them I still need the Gleevec even though she writes the prescription.  Then I get a phone call from the insurance trust that It pay for Gleevec was granted for another year, subject to change.  God only know what the insurance were to say to go to another drug that would cost a $1000.00 or more a month then Gleevec.  I don't even know if they would approve it, they I would have to be filling out paper to Novartis to go on Tasigna or Bristol Myers to go on Sprycel and then there is no guarantee.  On some of these phone conference you hear of people who can not get the money for these drugs or have to pay out there nose.  

I did change oncologist but I have spent hours on the phone to our insurance and to the Oncologist billing trying to get the right code so at least my insurance will pay for the onc visits.  At present my insurance does not pay office visit except to the onc with the right code.  The code my insurance will except is not allowed or used by most other insurance, so I had to do an appeal and make a few waves to get ever body on board before I made the switch.  When I was first diagnosed It just wore me down to much, to struggle with the insurance and billing.  I have learned a lot since then.  I could tell you some horror stories dealing with all that, but I suspect most people on here all ready have their own stories.   I was healthy all my life until this came up.  I worked 32 years and took good care of myself.  There were a couple of times in between jobs  and I worked part time and I did not have insurance, I was lucky back then i was in good health.

Sometimes I still wonder what causes the stem cells to go bad?  I have heard so many different theories.  Infant live vaccines, chemicals, virus, radiation, to many  x-rays, chemical and quality of food, water contamination, air we breath???

I hope Novartis stand by what they told you "they would always make sure to supply your Gleevec"  I am anxious to hear back from you!!

Sorry for venting.  I don't talk much about it to family and friends, because it would bore them, they wouldn't understand it and they think it is a piece of cake, Until...  Yep, until they or one of their family members are struck with a devastating, costly illness, then all of a sudden, you hear them...  Then I think to myself different story now, it has hit home, yes.

Oh, Thanks for telling about deleting my inbox, didn't think about that.

Merry Christmas, Love and Blessing in Christ, He will get us thru this, whether on this side of Heaven or the other, it is win - win, for me.  I will be 64 New Years, and my children are grown, so don't have to worry about who is going to raise or care for them, like some of the younger folks.

Pam

PamSouth

#15 Happycat

Happycat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 09:39 PM

Hi, Lori

Sorry you had to join us, but welcome!  This is a useful forum, and highly entertaining at times, too!  I've been on Gleevec since I was dx'd earlier this year, so can't help you on the Tasigna side effects.  I will say it took a good 2 wks for them to kick in full force for me on the G.

I hope the rash gets better and that's ALL you get for side effects.

Traci

#16 cousineg

cousineg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 09:51 PM

Hello Lori,

Take time to relax.There are several ways:
       by massage therapy

by art therapy (see the CMLer portofolio)

by music therapy (see The march toward healing          Too much angels in heaven!              The battle for healing )

Welcome to our group,

Gilles

#17 spnnrmn

spnnrmn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 05:31 AM

Lori,

in case you did not hear, the Leukemia group this Thursday at Lifewithcancer was canceled.  I got a call last night that not enough people had registered on the website and they are not having it.

Philip

#18 Lori's okay

Lori's okay

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 09:44 AM

Philip,

Thank you so much for letting me know, I was planning to go but had not registered and would have been so disappointed to show up. 

Very kind of you to let me know,

Lori

DATE/PCR

09-11/ 8.08 not IS

03-12/ 0.054 not IS

06-12/ 0.035 not IS

09-12/ PCRU, 01-13/ PCRU

4-13/ 0.042 IS

7-13/ 0.014 IS

11-13/ PCRU, 04-14/ PCRU