• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Steve-o

Steve-o

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 02:42 PM

Thought I'd share with you guys my little late night adventure:   At about 2 am on Thursday morning I woke to pee. After finishing I head back to bed when the next thing I know I'm on my back on the bathroom floor with my frantic wife hovering over me and  talking to 911 on her cell phone.   My toe is throbbing and I quickly realize my lip is bleeding and a chunk of my front tooth is gone. The police arrive then the firefighters to check things out. We decide to head via ambulance (I figure,"heck I've hit my deductible this year why not?" and I do have leukemia after all).  One of the firefighters mentions he took Gleevec as well for GIST. First person I've met on the G. Anyway, back at the ER, they discover low blood pressure but all other vitals ok. Decide to do X-rays, where I faint again taking down a 5' tall radiology tech. Eventually I get stable and calm enough to find out that I have a broken big toe and a quarter of my front tooth is missing. My blood counts are normal as are my kidney functions. I opt to hang out for awhile longer because I do have leukemia after all. The next day they check my heart doing EKGs and a sonogram. That checks ok too. My docs and my oncologist all feel it is a vasovagal episode or fainting after urinating. Glad it wasn't due to the leukemia after all.......

Got my temporary crown from the dentist this morning. And I'm in a walking boot on my right foot. But the best part is the 6-month bone marrow biopsy I've got on Monday because I do have leukemia after all. 

Steve

#2 Sneezy12

Sneezy12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 09 December 2011 - 03:02 PM

It is called Micturition Syncope. Frank

#3 Steve-o

Steve-o

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 04:21 PM

And, fortunately, my case was post-micturition syncope as falling face first into the porcelain toilet might have caused more damage. Then again, I might have spared the toe.

#4 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 09 December 2011 - 10:23 PM

Your docs must have had fun diagnosing a post-pee faint.  "Would you agree, Dr Mustfart. the patient has "Synco-pee".  Ha ha ha ha ha.  Let's tell him that -- it will be a good one!"  That must have been some collaborative effort to come up with that lame-o one.

#5 Steve-o

Steve-o

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 11:04 PM

You don't concur "Doc" Trey?  Have you heard of other cases of syncope while on Gleevec?  It had happened to me previously when I was 18 just after returning from having my wisdom teeth out, granted that was 30 years ago. It also happened to my son while urinating after an adenoid surgery. You obviously have much more experience and knowledge with CML and Gleevec, so I'd be curious if you had a serious opinion.

#6 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2011 - 11:43 PM

Dear Steve-o,

I can't help out with any medical Problems.  But I bet you throw one hell of a party.   I've been having a hell of a time this last couple months I call myself the porceline princess or sleeping un-beauty. I walk around looking like Harpo Marx. It's hard to get a grip when you don't know what you're trying to grasp!  Hey that sounded kind of cool huh! We'll have to add that to our list of cml phrases.  Hang in there .  Billie

#7 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 10 December 2011 - 12:02 AM

OK.  Trying to be serious now.  It is very unlikely due to the CML itself.  Possibly has something to do with Gleevec lowering blood counts ("thin blood").  My blood pressure has always been lower than "normal", both before and since CML, so I have not personally seen any direct relationship.  But that does not mean you do not. 

I suppose some people have a more direct connection between the crotch and brain -- mine seem disconnected....oh sharts....must think serious thoughts...must think serious thoughts....there's no place like home...there's no place like home....

#8 Steve-o

Steve-o

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 06:46 AM

Thanks, Trey. I'm thinking there is a G connection as well. In the meantime I'll be sitting down as a precaution and several friends have already suggested a helmet might be in order. PS, thanks for the Wizard of Oz reference, we don't hear that very often in Kansas. :)

Hey, Billie!  You know, up until  a couple a nights ago, things were kinda quiet. Haven't drank since diagnosis day (May 22nd)  but yes we do like to have fun. ;)

I'll let you all know the results of the BMB when I see the doc on the 19th!  Take care. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users