Photo

For Trey ...Alzheimer's and CML related??

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 czkeidel@aol.com

czkeidel@aol.com

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 11:53 PM

I found some interesting research linking gleevec + bcr-abl+alzheimer's -- research by Paul Greengard -- here is one of the articles: http://cancerofthebr...heimers-disease

Does anyone know about this??  Trey???

#2 WoofWoof

WoofWoof

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 07:53 AM

Is this a special link that only Trey can get?

I have cancer but it doesn't have me

#3 PhilB

PhilB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 08:07 AM

I was wondering if there was a specific reason they were linking Trey with Alzheimers...

#4 PhilB

PhilB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 08:13 AM

Like Woof Woof I can't get the link to work, but the last I remember reading there was a long line of maybes linking Gleevec to a possible approach for treating Alzheimers.  There appeared to be some evidence that imatinib might reduce plaques that were associated with Alzheinmers, but I have no idea of the dosage levels, it was only in mice and there wasn't proof that getting rid the plaques prevented Alzheimers.  Would be nice if it did help, but I'm not holding my breath.  Nor will I be sharing my tablets with any mice.

#5 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 07 December 2011 - 10:30 AM

Gleevec was initially thought to be a possible candidate for treating Alzheimers, but the issue is that Gleevec does not cross over the blood-brain barrier, meaning it cannot go from the bloodstream into the brain fluid where it would need to go to fight the Alzheimers.  But the research is focusing on using a molecule like Gleevec, but altering it so it can cross over into the brain fluid.  All still theory, but it has some promise.  Here is a story about Gleevec and Alzheimers:

http://thechart.blog...eimers-one-day/

Sprycel is the only current CML drug that crosses the blood-brain barrier.  I don't know if it has any ability to fight Alzheimers. 

#6 CallMeLucky

CallMeLucky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • LocationCT

Posted 07 December 2011 - 11:07 AM

I couldn't link to the article, but everything I have read about this has nothing to do with CML and Alzheimer's being related in anyway.  The research done showed that Gleevec (actually some derivative or Gleevec) may reduce plaque in the brain for Alzheimer's patients.  This is more about Gleevec having another use rather than Alzheimer's being related to CML.  Gleevec has many cross uses, most notably for GIST.  CML and GIST have nothing to do with each other and we are no more likely to get GIST than anyone else.  I would expect the same for Alzheimer's.

Date  -  Lab  -  Scale  -  Drug  -  Dosage MG  - PCR
2010/Jul -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 1.2%
2010/Oct -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.25%
2010/Dec -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.367%
2011/Mar -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.0081%
2011/Jun -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0%
2011/Sep -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.00084%
2011/Dec -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0%
2012/Mar -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.004%
2012/Jun -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0%
2012/Sep -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0%
2012/Dec -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2013/Jan -  Quest  -  IS  -  Sprycel  -  50-60-70  - 0%
2013/Mar -  Quest  -  IS  -  Sprycel  -  60-70  - 0%
2013/Apr -  CUMC  -  Non-IS  -  Sprycel  - 50 - 0.036%
2013/May -  CUMC  -  Non-IS  -  Sprycel  - 50 - 0.046%
2013/Jun -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 50 - 0.0239%
2013/Jul -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 70 - 0.0192%
2013/Jul -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 70 - 0.0034%
2013/Oct -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 70 - 0.0054%
2014/Jan -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 70 - 0.0093%
2014/Mar -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0.013%
2014/Apr -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0.0048%
2014/Jul -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2014/Nov -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0.047%
2014/Dec -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2015/Mar -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2015/Jun -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2015/Sep -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2015/Dec -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2016/Mar -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0.0228%
2016/Jun -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2016/Sep -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2016/Dec -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2017/Mar -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2017/Jun -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2017/Sep -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2017/Dec - Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  -  100 - 0%

#7 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 12:41 PM

Oh, if the question was about a link between CML and Alzheimers, then no, there is no link whatsoever. 

#8 czkeidel@aol.com

czkeidel@aol.com

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 07:06 PM

Thanks for all your responses.  I wasn't really thinking that cml and alzheimers are related directly but my understanding of the articles (which is mostly likely off base anyway)

is that if the BCR-ABL gene causes bad cells to profliferate (underlying CML) and wasn't sure if the

research was saying this same gene causes amyloid plaques to develop in the brain -- so would CML patients have more cognitive impairments as a result of a malfunction in bcr/abl gene.  Admittedly, this isn't my field and none of the articles that I read mentioned any direct link -- my question -- if the bcr/abl malfunction causes havoc on blood cells --and is also related to an overproduction of amyloid that leads to plaques in brain of Alzheimer patients - could there be a higher genetic risk in some families --I know gene in CML is acquired but maybe there is familial risk that comes out in different conditions (ms, cml, alzheimers) -- not sure my question is even clear to me but just wondered what people knew about it.   

#9 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 09:01 PM

The article does not try to link BCR-ABL to Alzheimers.  No connection whatsoever. 

#10 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2011 - 01:42 AM

Hi cz,

I don't know if it's the wine or I am really dumb. I lost tract when you started new discussion! I know nothing about the medical terms of cml which is fine with me all I know is my bcr-abl is 0 and my onc checks it every 2 months. I have brain fog which is getting worse now I call people on the phone and I forget who I was calling. And when a real person answers the phone I'm a blubbering idiot. Did you say Trey has Alzheimers? I don't believe it. It's probably all those boilermakers he drinks all day! His memory does seem to be intact.

Hey Guys,

I finally got all the ingredients for a chocolate martini, I even had to buy a martini making set. So naturally I had to experiment, I'm Irish so I can't resist the challenge of a new drink. It's been a long time since I made a drink with a shot glass. I just put a couple ice cubes in a glass then I guesstimate then I pour the vodka in the glass. Everytime I guesstimate the ice cubes are smaller so I pour in more vodka to balance it out! Tonight I made those Martinis! Whoops Martin! I put a shot of godiva choc liquor shot of creme de cocoa shot of vodka. Nucked some choc. chips and added 1/2 to the chips to make it syrupy. I forgot that you only put the liquor to the line on the shotglass I filled it to the top. I even chilled my glass and the martini thing a ma jig while I nuked the choc.chips. I had to take a nap about then. After choc chips were nuked I added the 1/2 put it in the freezer  then I made my first martini ever. I now know why those lines are on shot glasses. I put all the booze in the container added the choc&1/2 and made myself a real ladies drink. I felt real proud of myself because I don't know how to make mixed drinks. I sat at my computer with my martini (sounds classy huh?) Holy Crap that drink was so strong I thought I would have to sleep at the computer because I couldn't get out of my chair.But I'm not a wasteful person and I had some choc chip & 1/2 $ 1/2 mixture left, So I made another one I filled the booze to the line on the shotglass this time.It wasn't so strong and next time i'm going to pass on the choc. chips. I might add a little 1/2 &1/2 but thats all. It was really good  I think it's a great holiday drink to offer guests. Or if you like chocolate give the guests vodka&tonic and you drink the martinis. I think you're wives will like them too!  PS I'm leaving for Sanibel on the 17th anybody want seashells? Love Billie

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users