#1 tazdad08

tazdad08

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 16 November 2011 - 05:21 PM

Has anyone been able to work a 50-60 hour work week with cml? I am in management and am struggling with my work load with the "chemo brain, fatigue, and aches

Diagnosed in September 2011. Tried one year of Sprycel. Had great response. Became undetectable in a few months. Changed to Tasigna hoping for less side effects. Self medicated myself down to 20% dose and held for 3 years before becoming detectable again. It has been a journey that has helped me realize what life is about! I am all about a balanced life. I firmly agree with my decision to lower my dose. What is life if you aren't living? Mine will never be the way it was, but it is going to be as good as I can make it! Drs PRACTICE medicine, we can guide our dr to help us with a better life! Don't settle until it's acceptable to you!

#2 jjg

jjg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 05:41 PM

Hi tazdad,

At this stage (9 months in on 600mg G) no I don't and as my life is at the moment I don't think I could. I've definitely cut back to 40 hrs and now with the occasion day when I really don't function (in the first 6 months there were many of these days). I decided that what ever the collateral damage of treatment would be I would distribute that over all my activities. Specifically if I had less to give work was not going to get everything leaving nothing for my/our real life. To a large extent this was possible because if I ever need it I have awesome income protection. I also have to accept that I will not get promoted as quickly as I could, supervise fewer graduate students etc but for now I'm ok with that. If I wanted to I think I could now work the long hours again (most days) but I wouldn't be able to do anything else.

Dx Dec 2010 @37

2x IVF egg collection

Glivec 600 & 800mg

PCRU March 2012

Unsuccessful pregnancy attempt - relapsed, 3 months interferon (intron A), bad side effects from interferon

Nilotinib 600mg Oct 2012

PCRU April 2013, 2 years MR4.5 mostly PCRU with a few blips

April 2015 stopped again for pregnancy attempt (donor egg), pregnant first transfer, 0.110 at 10wks, 2.1 at 14wks, 4.2 at 16wks, started interferon, slow dose increase to 25MIU per wk, at full dose PCR< 1 for remainder of pregnancy

Healthy baby girl Jan 2016, breastfed one month

Nilotinib 600mg Feb 2016

MMR May 2016

PCRU Feb 2017

#3 Happycat

Happycat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 06:53 PM

I have, but in spurts, and only as strictly needed.  Most of the time, I'm working ca. 45 h weeks.  But when needed,  I've worked weekends (both days) on and off, getting ready for an audit.  I'm also in management and we are going ISO early next year, so it is a huge project. 

Once the audit was over, I cut back because I had to.  I can only keep it up for so long.  And really, I had to ask myself - why was I killing myself?  I'm the only person in on the weekend before the audit, and I'm the one with leukemia???  Where's everyone else? 

Also, with my kids in school, it is much harder for me to find time at night to do work.  It generally has to happen during the day, at work, or it doesn't get done.  I already get up at 4 am (I'm a slow starter), start my day at work by betw 6:30-7am, and skeedaddle by 3 pm.  I work through my lunch to get it all done.  If I need to, I work at night, usually on Thursdays.

HTH,

Traci

#4 tazdad08

tazdad08

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 16 November 2011 - 09:59 PM

thanks so much for your time and story. It helps me realize that my struggles are "normal". my family is the most important thing and thats what i am missing out on.

Diagnosed in September 2011. Tried one year of Sprycel. Had great response. Became undetectable in a few months. Changed to Tasigna hoping for less side effects. Self medicated myself down to 20% dose and held for 3 years before becoming detectable again. It has been a journey that has helped me realize what life is about! I am all about a balanced life. I firmly agree with my decision to lower my dose. What is life if you aren't living? Mine will never be the way it was, but it is going to be as good as I can make it! Drs PRACTICE medicine, we can guide our dr to help us with a better life! Don't settle until it's acceptable to you!

#5 tazdad08

tazdad08

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 16 November 2011 - 10:02 PM

I understand being the sick one, but the one putting out the most effort. I am the one who putd forth the most effort too. I sometimes bring it to their attention. I feel that I have no choice, gotta keep insurance.

#6 LivingWellWithCML

LivingWellWithCML

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 16 November 2011 - 10:13 PM

I'm about 8 months into Gleevec 400mg and am in the midst of a client trip in downtown Chicago this week [I run a small consulting firm] and will easily be pushing 60 full hours of work before I catch a late evening Friday flight back to Atlanta.  So my head will not hit the secure pillow in my own home until about midnight Friday.  The wonderful, life-saving G is going down the hatch each morning bright and early with some breakfast.

The only way I'm able to pull off this routine is through an early morning exercise regimen that masks the Gleevec fatigue throughout the day.  For example, I got up yesterday at 6am, down'ed the G, waited about 30 minutes, went for a run through downtown, then did a round of weights in the hotel gym.  Getting my blood pumping early (and shortly after G is digested) seems to mask the fatigue and allow me to push a long day.  Admittedly, I'm exhausted come 9pm ... which is now!

I have to say, it's hard to fit in the exercise bit -- especially when traveling, but to get through a heavy work day without feeling too much of the TKI side effects ... it's an amazing feeling.  It makes me feel, so .... uhhhhh, healthy.  The client has absolutely no idea that I'm dealing with leukemia and the associated side effects of treatment, and I am demanding that my body allow me this opportunity to move on with my life at a high octane level.  But in order to have that feeling, I really do have to work at it consistently with the vicious exercise routine early.  Oh, and I do have bouts of foot & leg cramps during the day cause of the TKI ... because I'm standing for much of the day and talking & driving client meetings and such.  Ouch - I am just trying to deal with it and move on.

Early AM exercise is the key for me, but I realize it's easier said than done...

Dan - Atlanta, GA

CML CP Diagnosed March 2011

Gleevec 400mg

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users