Photo

Do side effects of Gleevec and CML sub-side?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dmball22

dmball22

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 09:26 PM

Good evening everyone!

I was diagnosed on October 4, 2011 with CML and started Gleevec on October 7th. After a month of treatment, the nurse practioner told me that the side effects that I'm experiencing (Muscle and bone pain, muscle spasms, nausea, dizziness, numbness, chest pains, and headache, so far) will sub-side after 3 - 4 months. Has anyone experienced these side effects and have them go away after a while? If you have suggestions of things I can do to combat these side effects, I would greatly appreciate it!

Sincerely,

DeAnna

#2 Mosey

Mosey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 10:59 AM

I have had many of the side effects that you have listed and they have sub-sided over time. I have also had side effects that you have not listed. However, the muscle spasms and the nausea have come back. When I was first dx back in 2003, my doctor gave me muscle relaxers to help with the spasms as they were just awful. I did get relief from them. However, I am now having more advanced muscle spasms in my hands, legs and feet. I too get nausea so I try to eat a piece of bread with my dinner as that is when I take my Gleevec. So far, that has helped me. As for the muscle spasms, I am suffering through them right now. Hope this information helps you. If you have any other questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

#3 Taylor

Taylor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 01:54 PM

I find that while most of my side effects have "subsided" (I'm not sure if they've actually subsided or that I've just gotten used to it), things do flare up in cycles.  They seem to go by "functional group": sometimes I have muscle and bone problems/pain, then that goes away and I flare up with nausea and bad constipation, then something else comes along.

#4 Happycat

Happycat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 05:35 PM

Yes, the worst of it definitely subsided, but I do get flares here and there.  The fatigue hits me like a truck, here and there, but not that often.  Most bothersome is the muscle spasms and cramps, since they appear out of nowhere without warning, and at inconvenient times, like in the middle of a meeting at work.  People are at least used to my fingers suddenly pointing in strange directions all on their own - and no, not THAT direction with THAT finger - er, not yet anyway.

Traci

#5 GerryL

GerryL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 07:44 PM

I'm just thinking that coulf be useful - if someone says something in a meeting that you don't appreciate, up goes the finger and at the same time you say sorry "muscle cramp".

#6 Steve-o

Steve-o

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 09:30 AM

DeAnna,

Yes, most of your side effects will subside.  I'm 6 months in and all except the occasional muscle cramp in my hand and feet are gone. As  far as dealing with them now, ibuprofen helps with the aches and pains. Tonic water mixed with Crystal Light helped with the cramps. I always take my 400 mg G with dinner and have never had nausea. I've read some folks split their dose (4x100 mg) to help with that side effect. You might ask your onc about that.  I, too, had some dizziness and shortness of breath, but that gets better as well as your blood counts return to normal. Hang in there!  It will get better.  And, luckily, we have this awesome forum to help us through it.

Steve

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users