38 replies to this topic

#1 mikefromillinois

mikefromillinois

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 02:15 PM

Not sure if this kind of post would be welcomed, allowed, and so on...

My "treatment plan" for my own CML is multi-dimensional.  I have come to think that in addition to the medical therapy, good nutrition, exercise, spirituality, and support from people other than medical professionals (family, friends, and those here on the Discussion Board), that LAUGHING was important.  Having said all that, I thought it might be therapeutic to have a place here to post funny stuff - jokes, funny stories, whatever.  Hope I'm not breaking any rules or offending anyone.  Okay, I'll go first....

Last night my girlfriend of eight years told me she thought we should break up.  When I asked her if there was another guy...she told me that I WAS THE OTHER GUY.               DOH!!

(Disclosure: Not a true story - just a joke.  Heard it recently and thought it was hilarious.  I don't have a girlfriend, only a wife who has been at my side for 42 years.)

Wishing everyone good health and many happy days...

Mike

#2 AliceJane

AliceJane

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 03:12 PM

I would love a thread with jokes and funny stories. Laughter is my rock. I don't know how anyone else feels.

And I have developed an even more active and odd sense of humor since my diagnosis. 

#3 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 13 November 2011 - 04:40 PM

MIke, thanks for the laugh, I have always thought if you can't laugh at something it will make you cry.  I refuse to let CML make me cry, so I enjoy the laugh!

Alice, I agree, my sense of humor has always been a bit off, since the CML diagnosis, it has turned downright weird. 

#4 Fas

Fas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 07:09 PM

Mike,

Thank you for making me smile.  I am not sure if laughter is actually the best medicine, but is certainly is one of the best complimentary therapies I have even used.  My husband and I have days when we just screen some of our favorite funny movies or standup routines and it has a wonderful affect on mind, body and spirit.  I have always had a rather sarcastic sense of humor, albeit never with a hurtful intent, but still it has not always been appreciated by others.  Fortunately friends and family enjoy it and they are not surprised when I make jokes related to my treatment or side effects.  It is a great way to cope. 

- Laugh on my friend

#5 PhilB

PhilB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 04:28 PM

I don't know, I have a few days away from the boards whilst I was waiting for my results, and when I come back it's all simian posteriors, naked marines and clerical pee holes.  I clearly need to get back here and on with my mission to keep this a sober and respectable place.

#6 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 14 November 2011 - 05:16 PM

Sober and respectable?   I am definately in the wrong place.

#7 cousineg

cousineg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 10:19 PM

I laughed too much. I think I'm going to need a massage.

#8 mikefromillinois

mikefromillinois

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 09:28 PM

Not sure Billie??  This list of replies does look much shorter doesn't it?

Have a great Thanksgiving Billie....

Mike

#9 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2011 - 10:27 PM

Dear Mike,

Oh well now we have room for a lot more.    You have a great thanksgiving too!

I found Marnie she's on her way to the Grand Canyon. They have thier bikes with them I sure hope she doesn't pull an Evil Knievel. Knowing her she'll try. Boy that sounds like a great vacation.      Billie

Trey, what bird.animal creature is big enough and flys that can catch her if she can't make it all the way across. I know moose don't fly.

#10 PhilB

PhilB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 05:24 PM

I heard this joke tonight and immediately thought of you lot, so here goes:

A pretty young trainee nurse was having to look after the ward on her own when they wheeled in an old Jewish guy who was still unconscious from surgery.  After a little while he opened his eyes ans she heard a frail voice:

Nurse!

Yes?

Are my testicles black?

I'm sorry?

Are my testicles black?

I'm sorry, I'm only a trainee, I really don't..

Are my testicles black?

Well she can see that the poor guy is getting quite distressed, so eventually she pulls down the sheet, undoes his gown and starts to examine him.  Lifts his tackle to look underneath, passes it to the other hand to check the other side, looks from every angle and eventually tucks it all away again and tells him not to worry, everything looks perfectly normal.

The guy looks at her for a while and eventually says:

Thank you.  That was very nice.  But, are my test results back?

#11 missyme3

missyme3

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 07:23 PM

Hi does anyone know how I can ask a question on here? LOL

#12 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 24 November 2011 - 07:52 PM

Phil, I should be shocked, but instead am LMAO! 

#13 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 24 November 2011 - 07:55 PM

Posting a question?  Go to the top of the page, then hit create, it will give you discussion option, type in your question and if you want it in the CML board or another, and then comment/post button.  There is a box you can check for questions at the top of the page.  Outside of that, if you are asking a question like the one in Phil's story, you are on your own.

#14 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2011 - 04:27 AM

Phil,

You rascal, You're going to get me in so much trouble. After a huge Thanksgiving dinner We fell asleep very early about 6:30 pm. About 2:30 am Ron woke up for a while and I woke up a short while later. He laid back down on the couch in the family room, and I wandered over to the computer in our living room. It's 4:am I just read your post and I burst out laughing ,I,m trying to be quiet I was laughing so hard I had to go to the back bedroom in our house and put my head under a pillow so I wouldn't wake him up. I think I have my composure back but I'm not sure. When something strikes me funny I totally lose it. I already told you about Judy Duty.

Oboy, I just woke up Annie our little cocker spaniel who also fell asleep early she is looking at me with sad eyes and all four legs crossed so I have to take her outside very quietly. If  we wake Ron up I know I'll lose it again and all he'll understand is well Phil was here and...........

#15 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2011 - 05:34 AM

Dear missyme3,

Pam does tend to get more technical, but she has problems she is newly diagnosed about a month ago and she is growing horns and probably a tail by now, but we humor her we also thinks shes a bit unstable.

When you first log onto our site the first page comes up and if you look to your left it will say start a discussion just click on that and ask your question then click add reply and it will be posted and all of us will get back to you.

As we all say welcome to the club nobody wants to join. But if you have cml you won't find a more wonderful,understanding,more knowledgeable group of people.If you have any questions at all you'll get your answers here about anything because we have all been through what you're going through right now. If you're newly dx (diagnosed) you'll have a whole new family within a couple days to help and support you through everything. And we are not a doom and gloom site so we'll have you laughing in no time at all. Mike put up this post a couple weeks ago and it is wonderful he calls it off topic so we can joke around and tease and even make fun of ourselves and our side effects. Or just to relieve stress and take our minds off cml. Which is not a death sentence you will live a full life once you get through some side effects of the tki drugs. Some people have s-e(side effects) and some don't. Example nausea,diahreea,fatigue, everybody is different when it comes to se. Some people have none.It usually takes our bodies a couple months to adjust to tki's (tki is what we call the meds available to treat cml, Right now there are 3 tki's (Gleevac, Sprycel, & Tasigma) and 2 more should become available pretty soon. Our group can also guide you in different options on how to pay for you're meds if your insurance doesn't pay for them. There are many different options and cancer centers that can help you out. So please put up a post right away or read some of ours for a couple days.You have come to the right place. Sincerely  Billie

#16 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 25 November 2011 - 07:52 AM

Billie  I cooked!   I didn't want to jinx myself and told almost no one but I did it.  Pulled off a lovely Thanksgiving feast complete with moist browned fowl, stuffed with everything from sausage to celery to onions and of course seasons bread, two different kinds of sweet potatoes, mashed of course, baked corn, and the only cheat I used was biscuits in a tin, (that is a necessity, hockey pucks are not usually welcome at the dinner table and for some reason that is what I end up with when I try to make biscuits) anyway........pumpkin pie and roll with cream cheese, a pecan pie went to the neighbors next door......and  It was a disaster.  Bob had to work, he left at midnight and didn't get in till after ten yesterday morning, he was tired grumpy, and downright irritated with life, during dinner he picked on Nick, table manners, (they were bad) shot several mean looks while Nick was once again being a teen and shoveling food faster than the fork would allow, and you could have cut the tension in the air with a knife, not the one I used to carve the lovely juicy turkey with.  Go figure!  Had I been laying in the bed with the railroad spikes being pounded in my head, everyone would have played nicely and life would have been grand with left over pizza and stale bread.  I have resigned myself to the fact, Thanksgiving is going to be a crapper of a day, so beg off with a headache and a new book, send the boy to his room to closet himself with his video games, you won't see him unless he has to use the bathroom and even then I wonder about that, of course I really don't want to know so I do not wonder too far.....and Bob will have to fend for himself, he will fix something, play the martyr because he has too, but be so busy trying to get a frozen dinner on the table, he won't have time to be tired and mean.  Solutions, don't ya love them, remind me next year or I will attempt to do the entire day all over again just to have similar results!    I feel a headache coming on already, think I am going to hide the next three days starting this afternoon when Bob gets home, have to figure out how to type quietly, if they know I am on the computer they will know I am not feeling all that bad!

#17 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 25 November 2011 - 07:56 AM

Missyme3,  Billie says my doctors think I am a pain in the ass, but I think they enjoy treating me, where else can you get hands on experience with human horn growing, (no tail to date, but still waiting).  Billie gave you a wealth of information, but be careful reading her posts, use the bathroom before reading, most times if you don't you will be dribbling before you make it there while/after reading her true life stories! 

#18 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2011 - 09:27 PM

Dear Pam,

I'm so sorry your thanksgiving was so crappy. Most men handle stress one way they get grumpy.He is probably so worried about you that's the only way he can express himself. As for Nick he is a teenager and teenagers are evil,vile creatures with raging hormones thrust upon us by God, as payback for what we put our parents through when we were teenagers. And they are sneaky little buggers too. Just when you have decided to murder them and try to find a place to hide the body they come bebopping in and they have done something so wonderful and you are so proud of them you could just burst, so we decide not to murder them.....

until next time. HEE HEE                                lol Billie

#19 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 26 November 2011 - 09:20 PM

Billie, would you stop reading my  mind! 

#20 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2011 - 09:26 PM

Pam,

Gotcha, been there done that!  But grandchildren can do no wrong!  Hang in there.  LOL Billie

Marnie went to the Grand Canyon for the holiday That's one smart lady  She really knows how to get out of cooking!  I'm jealous I've always wanted to go there. When I was younger I always wanted to see all 7 wonders of the world. Go to Spain,Paris,the Taj Mahol, Buckingham Palace, The Cistine Chapel, King TuT's tomb, the Nile River, Maybe Rome if I had time.

BUT I GOT MARRIED INSTEAD.  But I have seen Niagra Falls a few times because I live so close.  But now that we have to get a passport and go through all this crap to get one I'll probably never get there again.  I love Canada I wish I was born there. Oh Well I can still walk down the road to trout run and fish for rainbow trout. All the Salmon have been gone for quite a few years. That was awsome watching them swim upstream. Oh I'm getting nostalgic I better knock it off. My motion lights just went on outside I sure hope it isn't ww's bear.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users