13 replies to this topic

#1 JoshLee

JoshLee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 01:41 PM

Hi All,

First off, I was wondering how much sleep ya'll make sure you get a night? I am thinking I need more, but thought I would see what you all recommend. Thanks, Josh

#2 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 03 November 2011 - 02:04 PM

Hi Josh,

Sleep, what an interesting subject, each one of us will have an opinion or suggestion, am betting.   That being said, I am not sure there is a good answer for you, each of us has different schedules and body requirements to maintain throughout the day.  I used to get by on 6/8 hours, but this summer, when the CML was kicking in, I seemed to sleep about 10/12 hours a day.  It is odd, because I seem to require less sleep than I did then, I get about 7 hours give or taken depending on what time I take the Ambien.  Without it I do not sleep much at all, but then have the zombie feel the next day.  So now that I probably have not answered your question......

I will be curious to everyone's answer, bet there are many opinions out there.

Pam

#3 cleocans

cleocans

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 03:09 PM

7 to 8 hours seems to be the magic number for me.  I do sleep longer on the weekends unless the dog or cat wakes me up early.  I don't have the fatigue problems a lot of other people have.  Unless, I don't get my 7 to 8 hours.

#4 Taylor

Taylor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 03:29 PM

Hi Josh,

I used to be able to sleep almost 10-11 hours a night in college; now that I'm "older" (I just turned 25) or have been on the TKIs, not sure which, I find it harder to sleep long.  In fact I think the Tasigna barely lets me get past 8 hours, even if I'm exhausted.

That said, I try my best to get to get that 8 hours, or no less than 7.5.  I find that I am pretty out of it if I get less than that and my anxiety levels are through the roof if I get less than 6.5 hours--I am glad I discovered this, because I was having major issues with anxiety since diagnosis until I discovered that.

#5 Happycat

Happycat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 03:44 PM

I'm lucky if I get 6 h a night.  Bed by 10 pm, up at 4 am.  I do okay most days, except for a few fatigue days here and there.  Or if I don't sleep well for some reason.  I have never been a person who gets a lot of sleep, nor did it ever seem to impact me too much.  If anything, I tend toward insomnia.  

That said, I poop out at about 8 pm, so I don't really do anything productive during that time.  Need to wind down slowly.  I have found that about an hour after I take my Gleevec, I tend to get sleepy.  It passes after another hour, though, so if I really need the sleep, I try to go to bed by 9 pm, to take advantage of the sleepiness.

Traci

#6 LivingWellWithCML

LivingWellWithCML

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 03 November 2011 - 05:24 PM

I'm 43 years old and am trying to get ~ 7 - 8 hours/night (in bed by 9:45 - 10:15pm, up at 6:00am pretty much every day).  Unfortunately, my brain is going bonkers in the middle of the night (OMG, I have CML?  OMG, I have X/Y/Z to do for work, etc.), so I'm having some nights where I'm awake and tossing between 1 - 3am or so.

Overall, I'm not really feeling a difference in my energy level (good or bad) with the TKI in the mix ... pre-CML, if I didn't get enough sleep, them I'd still be tired during the day.  Now, if I don't get enough sleep, I still just grind out the day like I used to before the diagnosis and I can definitely feel the effects.

On days where I put a long run in and/or workout, I definitely sleep better!

Dan - Atlanta, GA

CML CP Diagnosed March 2011

Gleevec 400mg

#7 GerryL

GerryL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 10:51 PM

Hi Dan,

Around 7 to 8 hours sleep, plus a nanna nap on the weekends if I can fit one in.

You'll only need more sleep if you're feeling a bit fatigued from the TKI, though if you've got a bit of depression that can also make you feel more tired.

#8 grannyd

grannyd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 12:23 PM

Hi Josh, well, I never was one to require much sleep. Now taking tasigna I haven't had a good nites sleep. I sleep about 2-3 hours then wake up & have a terrible time going back to sleep, & if I do it's the same thing 2-3 hours. So i probably only get between 5-6 hours of "not good" sleep a nite. I am tired during the day then so I sit down for about an hour & nap while T.V. is on. Wish I could sleep at nite!!!!!!! granny d

#9 ritan/

ritan/

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 12:23 PM

i have found that i do ok on about 8-9 hours of sleep at night. but i often end up taking a nap midafternoon, because otherwise i'm done for by about 7pm. but i'm brand new and still dealing with lots of other side effects of gleevec, so i'm hoping that will get better eventually.

#10 Tedsey

Tedsey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 12:56 PM

I think I can do real well on 6-7 hours.  But I get about 9-12 usually, (I lie in bed and cuddle with my 2 little ones until they wake up because I can, AND I am not sure how long I will have the honor of being their living mommy----if I am lucky, I will live long enough for them to want to sleep in their own rooms and make faces and say "Awwwww mom!" when I go to hug and kiss them).

I have always LOVED to sleep CML or not.  When I was dx, I had a baby and a just 3 year old (dx within days of his birthday).  I had had major interrupted sleep (little ones waking up to eat and whatever through the night).  When I started to show some healing when I switched to Sprycel last year, I found I didn't need much sleep.  Now things have turned, and I find I can sleep longer again.

But, I think I mostly sleep so much because I like to cuddle and hold my little ones.

There are nights I worry about CML and am sleepless (it seems that's the only cause of insomnia for me).  But it is only from time to time.

Here is hoping you always feel well-rested,

Teds  

#11 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 04 November 2011 - 02:48 PM

Teds,

You will cuddle your grandchildren the same way.  But thanks anyway for the dose of melodrama -- I was a quart low.  Now I won't need to watch Madame Butterfly tonight.

#12 Tedsey

Tedsey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 03:12 PM

Please don't pass up Madame Butterfly on my account.  I don't think you would be surprised to hear that I have always related to her.  Thanks for the vote of confidence.

Teds

P.S. Headin' in for my next PCR this Mon.  Brings out the best in me.

#13 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 04 November 2011 - 03:43 PM

I was just going to add LOL, but is just doesn't describe my belly laugh.

#14 GerryL

GerryL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 06:21 PM

Hi Teds,

I agree with Trey about you being around to bounce your grandkids on your knee.

I often feel that you were a poet in a past life, this comes through in the your depth of feeling and how you are able to express yourself through your comments here. When your children are a bit bigger you should consider becoming an author (if you haven't done this already).

Gerry

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users