• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DavidWF

DavidWF

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 11:36 AM

I was diagnosed with CML in 2008 and have been on Gleevec ever since.  The medicine is keeping the CML under control.  Luckily, other than the normal side effects of the drug I've only been sick a couple of times with upper respiratory infections.  It seems like it is taking longer to get over the illness than normal and that my strength is really zapped.  Is this to be expected since my body is dealing with CML too?

Also, since starting Gleevec I've gone through the side effects of cramping.  They never really stopped, but lately I've had extremely intense cramping and joint pain, worst ever since being diagnosed.  I used to tell my doctor I was having cramps and his response was it's better than the alternative.  I assume it is do to the meds, but it seems strange it's gotten worse over time.  Is this normal or is anyone else having this issue?

#2 everonward

everonward

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 01:38 PM

When I first started on Glivec (nearly 6 years ago) I had a lot of bone pain which lasted for about 6 months. As for cramps they are still on going. Exercising seems to help, but it's the ones I get in my fingers that are the worst.

Marian

#3 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 31 October 2011 - 04:00 PM

Hi:  The joint pain is something that some people seem to always experience.  Mine got better with time.  The cramping is something I live with, and its just there all the time.  When I get sick with respiratory problems, I try to fight it off myself.  Sometimes I have had to get a antibiotic, but I try to avoid that alternative if I can.  I do get my Flu Shot each year, and I get my Pneumonia shot when its due.  I had Pneumonia twice before I started to get the Vaccine, and its been about 8 years since I had Pneumonia.  I do feel that my side effects are tolerable, and yes better than the alternative.

Susan

#4 Lisal

Lisal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 06:03 PM

Hi David

It takes me longer to get over common illnesses.  For instance, I have had a sinus infection for over 5 weeks.  My husband caught the cold and only was sick 4 days. Seems like I only get sick once or twice a year, but boy does it last-anywhere from 3-5 weeks.  However, mine always seem to be sinus infections since I was diagnosed with CML.  I didn't really get them before.  I am going to speak to the ENT doc to see if I can get antibiotics sooner so the infection doesn't drag on for so long.  I think I wait too long to see the doc because if you go too soon (less than 7 days), they tell you, its a virus.  So I learned to wait and now I am paying.

Lisa

#5 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 31 October 2011 - 06:20 PM

Hi Lisa:  You brought up a good point.  I get constant Sinus Troubles, and it results in a constant drip down my throat and into my chest.  I get this  rattle in the chest, and then I end up with Bronchitis.  My  husband suffers with it also, and as a matter of fact he has it pretty bad right now.  I am trying to get him to go to the doctor.  It gets to the point where you need that Antibiotic, and I always need the Phenergan Cough Medicine to really knock it out of me. I am the one with the CML, and not him.  We were both told we have very bad allergies which triggers all of this.

Susan

#6 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2011 - 09:21 PM

Dear David,

I was dx in 2007 and put on Gleevac. I told my pcp about them and she said take 250mg. of magnesium a day that was about 3 years ago. I also put a bar of soap at the foot of my bed under my sheets.It's an old time remedy but it does work. When those cramps come I'll put 2 bars of soap in my ears or eye if it helps. I get rls and the soap even helps that. Good Luck Billie

Even though my pcp told me to take magnesium and it really helped me ,check with your doctor first.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users