• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cfroncz1

cfroncz1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 06:20 AM

I got a copy of my last BMB report when I was at the doctor's on Monday, however, I didn't read it all in detail until yesterday.

The results were very good in regards to the leukemia cells, but now I am wondering about some of the comments. Does anyone know what these mean??

1.) Bone Marrow core biopsy with overall hypocellular marrow with foci of trilineage hematoposiesis.

(I looked up trilineage hematoposiesis, however, I can't determine if this is a problem or normal for someone with CML?)

-Marrow smears unsatisfactory for evaluation.

- Blood with normocytic anemia.

2.) Comment on Blood smear - No blasts are seen. There are few eosinophils. Red blood cells show slight anisopoikilocytosis. Platelets are frequent.

3.) Comment on Differential - The bone marrow smears are unsatisfactory for evaluation. There are rare erythroid precursors and no megakaryocytes.

(I don't know what erythroid precursors are or if it is a problem that I have some?)

Any input here is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Cheryl

#2 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 27 October 2011 - 04:46 PM

Cheryl,

Nothing unusual there.

"hypocellular marrow" -- low blood counts (TKI drugs working, but some anemia)

"trilineage hematoposiesis" -- This means your marrow is making all three types of blood cells -- RBC, WBC, and platelets (all three) -- that is a very good thing

"Marrow smears unsatisfactory for evaluation" -- the slides they made were not useable.  So were they able to give you a count of leukemic cells and percentage (X out of 20 examined) ?

"normocytic anemia" -- Low RBC and related issues showing anemia, but not an abnormal type

"No blasts are seen" -- good

"There are few eosinophils" -- good

"Red blood cells show slight anisopoikilocytosis" -- varying sizes and shapes; this is fairly standard for CML and TKI drugs, especially early in treatment (so your RDW is likely high as well)

"Platelets are  frequent" -- good, as long as the count is not too high

"rare erythroid precursors" -- a few RBC precursor cells noted (before they lose their nucleus and become RBCs)  This would be normal for anemia and marrow trying to recover from it

"no megakaryocytes" -- platelet precursor cells; you would think you would have plenty if there are plenty of platelets, but this may show that your platelet count is about to take a drop.  Overall, not an issue.

#3 cfroncz1

cfroncz1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 10:28 AM

Trey, Thanks for the info. I did end up calling the dr about these things because it was keeping me up at night. He said the same thing...nothing to worry about. I am trying hard to be calm and composed over this, but it is very difficult for me. I hope once I hit the 1 year mark I will be able to "relax" a little.

Thanks again!
Cheryl

#4 GerryL

GerryL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 11:06 PM

HI Cheryl,

We all spin to various degrees, even those that have been on Gleevec since the beginning. It does get easier and the more "current" information you have, the better you'll find it.

Gerry

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users